A randomised double-blind placebo-controlled trial test had very surprising and impressive results.
For the last 30 years, the use of wheatgrass juice has been suggested for various treatments of gastrointestina 1 and other conditions but has never been clinically assessed in a controlled trial until recently.
This test was designed to examine the effects of wheatgrass juice in patients with active distal UC. Their findings showed the treatment with the use of wheatgrass juice resulted in significant reduction of the overall disease and the severity of rectal bleeding. An impressive 90% of the patients undergoing this trial improved and the remaining 10% remain the same but did not worsen.
Specifics on how the wheatgrass juice is absorbed and has a general anti-inflammatory affect or whether it directly affects the colon is still undetermined. None the less, the fact of the trial remains that wheatgrass is effective and safe as a single or at added treatment of active UC.
“We believe that wheatgrass juice offers a genuine therapeutic advantage in the disabling degrees of UC”
Study conducted by E Ben-Ayre, E Goldin, D Wengrower, A. Stamper, R Kohn and E. Berry. 2002, Israel